Part-time Executive Director for 49 Writers, Inc.
Beginning: As soon as position filled, preferably no later than April 1, 2023
49 Writers is seeking a dynamic, mission-driven leader to manage the activities of our non-profit organization and support the Alaska writing community in the coming decade. 49 Writers’ mission is to support a vibrant community of diverse Alaskan writers. Our programs range from affordable creative writing classes and workshops to public events to connect Alaska readers with authors. We are seeking a part-time Executive Director with strong administrative and leadership skills to oversee the management of 49 Writers programs, communications and outreach, membership development, and fundraising in concert with an engaged Board of Directors. See attached for detailed position description. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and three references to:
49 Writers, Inc.
P.O. Box 140014 Anchorage, AK 99514
Application reviews will begin on March 8, 2023.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Executive Director (ED) is the principal administrative officer of 49 Writers, Inc. The ED represents the vision and mission of the organization as developed by the Board of Directors (Board) and is charged with planning and implementing the programs of 49 Writers across Alaska. The ED reports to the Board through the Board’s Executive Committee, with the Board President as the main point of contact.
Anchorage area preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide the day-to-day administrative services necessary to maintain the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Maintain required governmental reports and insurance,
- Maintain internet and social media security and confidential information.
- Accounting. Maintain financial records (bank statements, PayPal statements, Stripe statements, etc) and provide to our accountant at The Foraker Group, for regular financial reports for the Board.
- Budget. Assist Treasurer in drafting an annual budget and review for consistent fiduciary compliance throughout the year.
- Tax Filings. Provide timely W-9 and year-end financial reports to the appropriate accounting entities.
Membership & Development
- Assist Membership & Development Committee (MDC)with coordination and implementation of the Membership and Development Plan.
- Maintain the membership database and send renewal notices and membership and donation acknowledgments.
- Maintain donor relations and regular donor recognition.
- Provide staff support for special fundraising efforts.
- Help identify grant opportunities for operations and programs and serve as the organization’s principal grant proposal writer and grant reporter.
- Maintain positive relations with Alaska granting agencies.
- Assist Program Committee (PC) in developing the annual 49 Writers Program Plan. When possible, seek partnerships that enhance community engagement, broaden the reach of the organization, and offset out-of-pocket costs.
- Coordinate and implement the Program Plan as approved by the Board, including the Reading & Conversation series (9/year), Classes and Workshops (9/year), the Tutka Bay and Juneau Writers Retreats, and special initiatives like Inspirations with Heather Lende and Live from Storyknife.
- Work in cooperation with the part-time Communications Director to ensure that all information and materials necessary to publicize programs and membership/development initiatives are received by the coordinator and posted in a timely manner to the website, newsletter, social media platforms, and blog as appropriate.
- Conduct additional and broad outreach and publicity activities as needed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Education: A bachelor’s degree (or higher) required, preferably in business administration, nonprofit management, public administration, journalism, creative writing or another related field.
- Experience: organizational management experience is essential, with non-profit experience and strong emphasis on front-line fundraising preferred.
- Computer proficiency, including spreadsheet development, database management, word processing and basic graphics.
- Organized and a self-starter.
- Ability to think strategically and problem solve.
- Strong collaboration and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate with broad range of supporters.
- Good writing skills.
- Belief in 49 Writers’ mission, goals, and core values.
- Familiarity with Alaska communities and cultures.
- Experience with non-profits.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience with budgets.
Compensation for this part-time “work from home” salaried position is $2800/month based on an expected 80 hours per month. Although we are not able to offer medical and dental benefits, we do offer 80 hours PTO (paid time off) per year, flexible hours (with the exception of attendance at regular board and committee meetings), and free attendance at all 49 Writers classes and workshops.
49 Writers is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided based on qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.