The 49 Writers blog welcomes contributions from both 49 Writers members and non-members on topics related to our mission of “engaging, empowering, inspiring and expanding a statewide community of Alaskan writers.” Priority is given to members’ work and to submissions that speak to our core values of creativity, craft, culture, community and catalyst. The submission guidelines below fall in two categories: general requirements and submission categories. Please consider both sets of guidelines when submitting your work.
- Submissions must be your own original work; must be submitted directly by you, as the author; and must conform to the general requirements listed here.
- Please provide your name, mailing address, email address and phone number in the email relaying your submission. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Blog Submission: (Category)” in the subject line.
- Your submission should be in a Word document, single-spaced, in Arial font and should ideally be 500-1000 words in length.
- If you are submitting a piece for our “Spotlight on New Books” category (see below), please use the following format:
- Entitle the post “[Book Title in Italics] by [Author]”
- Open with an excerpt of the book, in italics, of up to 150 words
- Follow with a synopsis of up to 300 words
- Follow with quotes from reviews of the book, if applicable, of up to 100 words
- End with up to three links, which may include the author website and websites offering purchase information.
- You retain the copyright, but by submitting you give us permission to post your work to our blog and to make minor edits as we deem necessary.
- With your submission, please provide: an illustrative photo and/or a current author photo, in jpeg format and about 1MB in size; and a short (up to 100 word) bio to run with your post.
- Submissions may be made at any time and are typically published in the order in which they are received. Because we are a volunteer organization with limited resources, we are not always able to acknowledge receipt of your work or to notify you prior to publication.
- We reserve the exclusive right to select works for publication, and to decline publication in our sole discretion.
The 49 Writers blog regularly features submissions in the following categories.
- GUEST POSTS
Share your insights on writing and the writing life. Consider the finer details of craft or contemplate the big question “why write?” Whatever intrigues you, we’re listening.
- WRITER PROFILES
Introduce us to Alaskan writers and authors who inspire you and share how their creative life and work has influenced you and others. While not intended as book reviews, writer profiles may include summaries of the writer’s work and links to where their works may be found.
- SPOTLIGHT ON NEW WORKS
Did you just publish something? Don’t be shy: we’d love to know what you’re up to. Here is your opportunity to introduce yourself, describe your publication, and let us know how we can find it. (Note: please use the format outlined under guideline #4 above.)
- WRITING ALASKA
Writing Alaska is the space for short works in any genre that were either inspired by a 49 Writers class, workshop or retreat, or completed during a 49 Writers program. Don’t leave those prompts or projects unfinished! Complete them and share them with the rest of us!